Vik Anantha, a longtime sangha participant and hiking enthusiast, will be leading an all-day group mindfulness hike on Saturday Aug. 24, 2019.
The hike will be in the pocket of Table Rock Wilderness. This scenic 10.2 mile hike takes on an excursion to Table Rock and Rooster Rock which are remnants of two ancient Cascade volcanoes. The hike has 2,600 feet of elevation gain with views of Mt Jefferson, Sisters and Hood to the east and Mary’s Peak and the rest of the coast range to the west with swaths of colorful wild flowers along the way.
(Advance sign-up is required. Group size limited to 12 due to wilderness restrictions)
DATE: Sat., 8/24/2019
START TIME: 7:30am
HIKE DURATION: About 9 hours
More details about Table Rock wilderness are at https://www.blm.gov/or/resources/recreation/files/brochures/TableRockBro...
MEETING PLACE: PIMC Living Room, 6536 SE Duke St., Portland OR 97206 (Come in through the side kitchen entrance on 66th Ave.)
TO REGISTER: Contact Vik (email@example.com, 503-858-2667).
SUGGESTED DONATION: $10 per person for PIMC (Your donation will be matched with a like donation to Oregon Wild, an organization that was instrumental in protecting Roaring River Wilderness). Nobody will be turned away for lack of funds.
The following plan for the day may change based on conditions and group capability.....
1) Meet at 7:30 AM in the PIMC living room. Silent meditation for 30 mins. Open to making this a guided meditation of the group’s choice
2) Carpool and head out to the trailhead mindfully. Not silent.
3) Hike with some vigor and energy, but mindfully. Not silent. This may take 4 to 5 hrs depending on the group's speed.
4) Break for lunch. Start with a silent 20 min sit. 20 to 30 mins for lunch. Not silent.
5) Hike back mindfully, with some vigor. This may take 3 to 4 hrs depending on the group's speed. Not silent.
6) Carpool back to PIMC mindfully. Not silent.
Physical fitness is required.
Hiking experience is nice to have, but not required. Contact Vik for any help you may be need with your hiking essentials. Vik will send out more details for those who register.
You need to be prepared to spend 9 hours or so outdoors. You will need to bring snacks, lunch, adequate clothing, “10 hiking essentials”, river sandals for stream crossing.
What is "Wilderness" and why are we choosing it as a backdrop for mindfulness?
Here are mindful teachings masquerading as the 1964 Wilderness Act:
"A wilderness, in contrast with those areas where man and his own works dominate the landscape, is hereby recognized as an area where the earth and its community of life are untrammeled by man, where man himself is a visitor who does not remain"
Hope to spend a mindful hiking day with you all.