Come lend a hand on Brown Bag Day. We make 100-150 nourishing lunches (with hot homemade soup in cold weather), and then deliver them on the streets to folks who are hungry. Simple.
Everyone needs a healthy, filling meal, and the more of us who show up, the more lunches we can offer to folks on the street. No experience needed, just a kind heart and a couple of hours on Friday morning. Let us know if you can help, or if you have any questions.
Every lunch makes sure that the person getting a Brown Bag will have at least one full meal that day.
Meet at Friends Meeting House, 4312 SE Stark, Portland to prepare food from 8:30–10:00 AM. Then we’ll head out in teams to offer lunches under bridges, on street corners, and in doorways. Every lunch includes a fresh deli-style sandwich, fruit, a hardboiled egg, cookies, water, and other munchies. Hot homemade soup is included in the cold months.
Can’t make it Friday? We welcome the items below, and you can drop them off between 8:30-10:00 AM, even if you can’t stay. Or contact us for more info.
We welcome donations of the following items
- Home-made or store-bought applesauce
- Hard-boiled eggs
- Cookies, brownies, and muffins
- Nutritious snacks (mini carrots, etc.)
- Good quality fresh fruit
- Home-made soup (we’ll keep it hot and serve it up on the spot)
Other ways to help
- Solicit food donations or grocery gift cards from markets where you shop.
- Ask friends or local businesses to donate in support this project.
- Every donation makes a difference.